Company salutes long lasting tradition of arcade gaming by giving
$10,000 to arcade on the brink of closure
Gamers to choose next arcade to be saved with $25,000 prize at www.SavetheArcades.com
Parsippany, NJ (August 2009) – With classic video game arcades facing the ultimate “game over”, the makers of STRIDE, The Ridiculously Long Lasting Gum®, want to do everything they can to help keep the elbows bumping and quarters flowing. Enter Save the Arcades – a nationwide campaign to stop the disappearance of this beloved and endangered form of gaming.
Last week, STRIDE discovered that a Philadelphia-area arcade called Challenge Arcade was within days of closing down, so they decided to help. By providing $10,000, STRIDE ensured that Challenge will stay in business and continue to offer gaming goodness, world record events and tournaments to the community.
“What a wonderful gesture!” said Joe LeVan, Owner, Challenge Arcade. “I can’t say enough good things about the folks at STRIDE who helped me stay afloat during this difficult time.”
“Well, we couldn’t launch ‘Save the Arcades’ without actually saving an arcade!” said Gary Osifchin, Marketing Director, STRIDE. “Now that Challenge Arcade is safe, we’ve identified four other arcades that deserve a long lasting existence, and we’re asking everyone who cares about gaming to help preserve this long lasting tradition and keep those quarters rolling in.”
STRIDE is inviting gaming enthusiasts everywhere to join the movement to save the arcades by choosing the next arcade to receive some financial support. Here’s how gamers can decide which iconic arcade receives a $25,000 award:
- Go to www.SaveTheArcades.com
- Play the most highly anticipated game in the history of time for arcade gaming enthusiasts – Zapataur
- Allocate your gaming points to one of four iconic video game arcades
- Arcade that receives the most points will be awarded $25,000
– more –
STRIDE is proud to announce that the following independent-operator arcades will be participating in the Save the Arcades program and are eligible to score $25,000:
- Arcade UFO in Austin, Texas – A unique blend of classic arcade games and rare Japanese titles<
- Game Galaxy in Nashville, Tennessee – Proud owners of the most coin-operated pinball machines in Tennessee
- Starbase Arcade in San Rafael, CA – Marin County’s first video arcade, operating for more than 25 years
- Star Worlds Arcade in DeKalb, IL – A “living time capsule of video games,” operating for nearly 25 years
Stride® The Ridiculously Long Lasting Gum® was launched in 2006 to give gum chewers a fun, unique and long lasting chewing experience. Stride, a Cadbury brand, comes in nine flavors – Winterblue, Spearmint, Sweet Peppermint, Forever Fruit®, Sweet Berry, Sweet Cinnamon, Always Mandarin®, Nonstop Mint® and new Uber Bubble™. To find out more about Stride, and what the brand is up to visit STRIDEGUM.COM.