Article by Suzanne Philips
Photo copyright AMC
“Fear The Walking Dead” is arguably the most anticipated show of the Summer. The show takes place in Los Angeles at the start of the Zombie outbreak which we follow in “The Walking Dead” universe during the time when Rick Grimes (Andrew Lincoln) is in the hospital in a coma.
The new show follows Travis (Cliff Curtis) and Madison (Kim Dickens), teachers who have recently moved in together and who are trying to blend their two families. Madison’s son Nick (Frank Dillane) is a junkie and her daughter Alicia (Alycia Debnam-Carey) skips classes and can’t wait to leave town – clearly Madison is battling TWD’s Lori Grimes for the Mother of the Year Award.
Travis has his own problems with his son Chris (Lorenzo James Henrie) who doesn’t want to spend any time with him and hates the new family he has been thrust into.
The show definitely came into being with a whimper and many fans were apathetic about the first episode. Being episode 1, all of the characters and the world they inhabit have to be introduced and this takes time. I don’t think the pace of the whole show can necessarily be judged on this first episode. As fans might remember, Season One of “The Walking Dead” started off sort of slow as well as we got to meet all of the characters and their world.
It’s interesting as a fan of TWD to see how people are first reacting to the Zombie outbreak. The confusion and disbelief of what is actually going on and the realization that people are actually coming back to life is interesting to see for those of us who have already seen all of what is to come.
The episode definitely had pace issues – there was a constant feeling of waiting for something to happen – and as one who is used to the constant non-stop pace of TWD – it is a bit frustrating. I don’t think it’s fair to be able to judge a series from one episode so I will be watching future episodes of “Fear the Walking Dead” hoping to see some of the great character development and heart-stopping action we see in “The Walking Dead”.
“Fear the Walking Dead” airs Sundays at 9pm on AMC.
- Chris Evans Introduces New Captain America Civil War Footage At D23 Expo
- Fans Are In Renewal Limbo Over Syfy Channel Fan Favorites Killjoys and Dark Matter
- Benedict Cumberbatch Talks Doctor Strange at D23 Expo 2015
- Stitchers Cast Talks With CFM News At D23 Expo
- CFM News: The Muppets Wow Fans At D23 Expo 2015
- CFM News: Anaheim Gears Up For D23 Expo
- CFM News: John Oliver Explains Whole Foods Asparagus Water
- Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation Delivers The Action
- CFM News: Outlander – A Fan’s Quick Review
- “Sherlock”‘s Rupert Graves and Steven Moffat Visit Nerd HQ 2015
- CFM News: Aug 5 Comic Book News From Around The Web
- Stitchers Season Finale: ‘Full Stop’ is The Cruelest Stitch of All
- CFM News Disney Store To Debut All New Product Collections At D23 Expo